THE HIGH COURT
2006 No. 3785P
DIGITAL RIGHTS IRELAND LIMITED
THE MINISTER FOR COMMUNICATIONS, MARINE AND NATURAL RESOURCES, THE MINISTER FOR JUSTICE, EQUALITY AND LAW REFORM, THE COMMISSIONER FOR THE GARDA SIOCHANA, IRELAND AND THE ATTORNEY GENERAL
1. Digital Rights Ireland Ltd. has taken a case against the Irish Government.
2. McGarr Solicitors act for Digital Rights Ireland Ltd.
3. DRI brought an application to the High Court to seek a ruling from the ECJ on an EU law issue. The State responded with its motion challenging DRI’s right to bring the proceedings. The Irish Human Rights Commission applied for leave to make submissions in the proceedings. These Motions were heard in the High Court in July 2008.
4. On 5th May 2010 the High Court delivered its (unapproved) judgment. The Court confirmed its agreement to refer the EU law issue in the case to the European Court of Justice. The Court refused the State’s applications seeking denial of locus standi to the Plaintiff and/or seeking security for costs.
5. The matter will be listed before the Court again on 12th May 2010 for submissions on the form of question or questions to be referred to the ECJ.